• A press release
I have written a few Press Releases in my time. Which poses the questions; How does one write a Press Release AND how many people have written one for their careers in entertainment? First, the rules of a Press Release (Networking / Marketing).
• Capture the 5 W’s in your opening paragraph; Who, What, Where, When, and Why of your story.
• Use clear, simple sentences throughout; To the point, and easy to understand.
• Include quotes to enliven the text.
• Be brief; Not wear briefs. Okay you should wear briefs. I mean, keep your release to a single page.
• Use a closing paragraph; Wrap up the message.
• Always include contact information; This info helps for possible follow-ups.
• Photos; Whenever possible, since photos increase usability.
• Reread, reread, and then revise; Leave no extraneous verbiage. (I just wanted to use the word verbiage)
—Below is a real example—
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
THE ROSE THEATER PRESENTS “LETTER OF REASON”
A tradition of bringing community theater to life, “The Rose Theater” (WHO) is staging a new original 1 Act production of Thomas J. Bellezza’s “Letter of Reason” (WHAT) in Holbrook; 1320 Lincoln Ave Holbrook NY 11741 (WHERE), from the Wednesday, December 12th to Sunday, December 30th (WHEN). An interesting journey as a Report interviews an old white man, who fought for Civil Rights in the 60’s, learns a little more about himself and a little more about his interviewer. (WHY)
Director Thomas J. Bellezza, who happily opened The Rose Theater to give people a chance to bring reality to their dreams, says “Even the message has a say, and the little I have to add is nothing compared to what you’ll take from this play. A community play is intimate, and filled with unexpected magic. I love the way an audience can walk through a play with the actors and feel something. Be moved into emotions; laughter, sadness, hope, or tears.”
With a full winter and summer season filled for this new theater in Holbrook, let your Holiday December be entertained. Have a present you want to give? Give the gift of the stage. Gift certificates for Plays, Classes and other events.
Tickets are priced at $20 for general admission, there are coupons for $5 off, and seniors get a %25 discount, which are available at The Rose Theater box office or by calling 631.599.2263. An every growing crowd, so advance reservations are strongly suggested. Attached are photos of the event.
Contact: The Rose Theater; Lauren Huttle or Thomas J. Bellezza, 631.599.2263
Also, remember, a timely submission to your local editors is also appreciated. The sooner the better! Good luck, and feel free to come on down to The Rose Theater.